So on Monday Jackson had his first visit to Schriners Hospital. It was a great experience!!!! He met with an Orthepedic doctor and she had them take some pictures of his hips and legs. She said that everything looked perfect!!!! Jackson was loving walking around in his walker for some reason, it was so cute cause I think that he was showing off, and also there were other kids there with walkers and I think that it made him feel comfortable to have other kids be doing what he was doing. Anyways, my point with that is that his doctor was able to see him walk. She said that he walks perfect also. She said that the position of his feet and legs is right where it needs to be. She said that braces would only hurt him, rather than help him. She then explained Ataxia better to us--FINALLY SOMEONE WHO WILL HELP US TO UNDERSTAND--you would have thought that his neurologist would have explained things to us, but she must have forgot or something. But Dr. Carol(the orthopedic doctor)told us that Jackson is a very blessed child with Ataxia, cause 80% of kids with Ataxia get worse and don't progress. So the fact that Jackson is progressing is so awesome. she explained that ataxia is a problem that is in the cerebellum of the brain, and that most kids that have ataxia their cerebellum will shrink as they get older. So that is why we have to do more MRI's on Jackson is to make sure that his is growing. Intresting huh? So she was very hopeful that Jackson will be walking. We will have another visit on Aug. 12 with the physical and occupational therapist so that they can evaluate Jack and see how much therapy he needs. I have enjoyed Jackson therapist with early internvention, but I just feel that they are not as intense as they need to be, so Schriners will be more intense. I can not tell you how grateful I am to be able to go to Schriners. I feel like finally I have found people that want to help us, and they actually care about helping Jackson. What a blessing it is to us to know that there are resources out there for children like Jackson. I know that my Heavenly Father is watching over us and making sure that we are guided to the right places to help our little angel. I know that he loves me and all of us. What a wonderful feeling that is. I know that he could never give us more than we can handle. And it is so comforting to know this with all my heart!!!!!
5 comments:
I'm so glad that everything went so well on the visit! I kept getting chills as I read your post! He really is an amazing kid with so much love. For someone that has had more struggles in two years than some people have in a lifetime, he has the biggest smile! I don't think that I can love that kid anymore, but for some reason love him more and more each day!! He's one little guy that will go far in life, because he learned at such a young age to never give up!! Thanks to such wonderful parents! I don't think that you and Barry give yourselves enough credit for raising such an amazing person!! I feel like the news just continues to get better and better....FINALLY, right?! I love you all so much and can't wait to be home for a few in September!! Beijossssss!!
I am glad you are finding the awers you need. I know Jackson will be ok. I can tell from the your path, you are being led the right way.
Good luck!
I am so glad you posted this info. I sure have been thinking of little Jackson and your cute family. I knew you had your appointment and I have been interested in hearing how it went. What wonderful news! You know all the heart ache you go through after seeing Dr. after Dr. it is always so refreshing to get a little positive feedback.I will be checking in on you guys and looking forward to hearing more great news as Jackson progresses.Congrats!
That is some really good news. What a stonge little man you have. Sorry we didn't come swimming yesterday I would have loved to have gone. Please call us again soon. My family is leaving on the first of next month so we will be free.
That sounds like really good news! I'm so glad that you were able to get into Shriner's - hope all goes well for Jackson in the future :)
Post a Comment